Stunning Views Set In Secluded River Settlement
- $640.00 per weekend for two-
Marra Retreat is the perfect destination to sit back ( or lay back in the hammock) & take in the magnificent water views & distant sandstone escarpment vistas. This cottage is a charming river retreat , offering a great space to unwind.
Water access Marra Retreat is one of only a few houses in the Hawkesbury’s tiniest settlement- Marra Marra. This stylish cottage has an open plan kitchen/ lounge area with a combustion fireplace for chilly nights; then an adjoining dining room w day bed…. … This main wing of Marra Retreat encompases the original structure of the post office in Brooklyn, which was dismantled & then taken by boat up the river some 100 years ago, & that now gives so much of the character of the property....... The bedroom is a separate relatively new wing, fully screened w doors opening onto front deck and timber folding windows opening to the rear ...a second queen bed is located in the loft room above…. With a cook’s kitchen,including gas stove /oven plus BBQ; Internet access, Optus phone and TV reception, plus a DVD player, you aren’t aware that you are off the mains power grid. Marra Retreat is fully powered by solar power, with a generator that automatically kicks in if required......The private pontoon access is perfect for boat owners, water taxi transfers & self drive runabout…..being tidal, access to the cottage is wholly determined on tides, ( we help you with this aspect of your stay ). …. On a full moon there is no better place to be, with a glass of wine in hand, on the comfortable front deck with the moonrise at centre stage
• favourite CDs, DVDs, reading material
• hooks, bait, sinkers for fishing
• toiletries, personal belongings including swimming costume, & shoes with grip
• personal repellant , sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses
• food & beverage ( there are no shops )
• queen bed & second loft bedroom w/queen bed
• ground coffee & tea, sugar , coffee plunger
• oil & balsamic vinegar
• sea salt & ground pepper
• glad wrap, foil, paper towel, serviettes
• outdoor gas BBQ
• TV, DVD & CD player
• books, magazines, board games
• private jetty with pontoon
• simply relax , fish, read, hang in the hammock
• swim on a high tide
• take a boat trip to Spencer for the legendary burgers & a beer
• prebook a self drive hire boat, ( no licence required ) & explore the nearby river beaches as well as nearby Bar Island
• book in for a long lunch at Peats Bite- see below under restaurants.
Just a reminder that ‘Marra Retreat' is boat access only. There are absolutely no roads to the property, which does make getting there part of the adventure!
From SYDNEY travel north, ( approx 50km from Harbour Bridge ) along the Pacific Highway & M1 FREEWAY, crossing the Hawkesbury River & immediately taking the Brooklyn/ Mooney Mooney exit. Come back over the river a second time, on the PACIFIC HIGHWAY #83 & turn left in to either BROOKLYN for hire boat or KANGAROO POINT for your scheduled water taxi transfer .... Allow an hour by car from Sydney, and in peak periods add 30 minutes....& always plan to 30 mins early..the boat waits for no one!
1. Self Drive Runabout From the riverside village of Brooklyn, you commence the last leg of your journey by self drive 'runabout ' .Absolutely no previous experience is required; the boats are broad, stable & slow travelling. Travel time from Brooklyn to your jetty is generally 40 mins….getting there becomes part of the adventure. The hire boat team give you excellent instruction in the ‘zen of steering a boat’ ….so come experience this magical part of the world. Boats are hired from Brooklyn Central . RATES - approx. $150 for 1 night; $270 for a 2 night ; $370 for a 3 night stay; or the larger ' fish and cruise' at approx. $450 for a 2 night stay ; the hire of either boat is inc. a 25 litre tank of fuel, up to 4 fishing licences. Contact Gary or Jason at Brooklyn Central ( 81 Brooklyn Rd ) for a quote on 0414 969 844…or email email@example.com ...Rates/discounts may depend on pick up / drop off times. Please discuss direct with Brooklyn Central ...Discounts may also apply for extended stays ... see www.brooklyncentral.com.au . Latest pick up/ drop off is 5pm ( & 4pm in non daylight saving period )..there is off street parking provided . Payment is on arrival. Travel time by boat to up river houses is between 30 & 50 mins depending on tide & property location. NOTE hire boat must be booked prior to our final confirmation of a booking for your stay…We can hold a property for 12 hrs while you arrange a boat. We will then also run through a google satellite map w you to locate property & point out some places worth exploring in the area. This is done at time of booking
2 . Water Taxi Rate is approx. $130 each way based on 2 guests but ask the operators about discount rate for more than 2 guests or any scheduled group transfer that may be at cheaper rate…
Rhett Mead– owner /operator Text/ Phone - 0410 554 777 Rhett@ BrooklynWaterTaxis.Com
has runs up & down the river on Saturdays & Sundays ( Sept – June) taking guests to & from Peats Bite Restaurant for lunch…so he can often fit you in on those runs at a good rate
Neal Garnsey – owner /operator Text / Phone - 0422 300 100often has a deal run on Friday & Sunday afternoons
Payment is by cash on the day, so please have the correct money.
Water taxi travel must be booked & confirmed at the same time as booking of your accommodation…
Note: you must be at pick up point 20 mins, prior to departure time…as timing is of the essence,.& this allows for unloading & parking. All passengers agree to take full responsibility for ensuring they allow time for traffic delays, parking & off loading of belongings.
Should any guest miss that transfer, the payment & booking of that journey is not transferable.
3. Water Taxi / Hire Boat Package ( boat delivered & waiting at house wharf )
$320 for 3 days/ 2 nights includes return water taxi transfers from Kangaroo Point/Brooklyn and self drive hireboat awaiting at your holiday house; no licence required ; basic boat instructions on arrival at house; 25l tank of fuel & lifejackets included; Note special weekend offer 3 nights for price of 2!!!!...otherwise additional nights boat hire @ $50 Neal Garnsey – owner /operator of water taxi & hire boat Text / Phone - 0422 300 100…limited availability so be quick
4.Own Boat can be launched in Berowra Waters, Moooney Mooney or Brooklyn
Peats Bite weekends only, advance bookings essential, 02 9985 9040 - closed July/Aug. A great place for a long relaxed lunch, in one of the most beautiful & unique locations on the river. $135.00pp ( licensed ) You will need to advance book in your boat transfers directly with Peats Bite, a small charge applies. You can also travel there by hireboat or own boat. Let the restaurant know at time of booking.
Spencer Village Store & Cafe serving legendary breakfasts, ( we love the spanish omelette ), burgers & light lunch snacks. Truly the 'Hub of the Universe'. Also supplying a good range of meat, some vegetables & just about everything else you may need. Licensed Bottle Shop as well. Kitchen closes around Phone 4377 1123
Cottage Point is perfect when staying mid week, book on 9456 1008. A stunning setting & excellent á la carte menu. Approx 25km. Travel by own boat fine, but too far by hire boat
Berowra Waters Inn – 9456 1027
Degustation Luncheon Menu Fri - Sun
Travel Approx. 15 km by Boat . Not suited to travel by self drive runabout. Check with restaurant regarding parking own boat at jetty.
Before you arrive, the house is opened, ready for you to simply kick back & relax
Children over 10 by prior arrangement only
Pets by prior arrangement only
The property is fully self contained & booked exclusively;
RATES are byo sheets & towels etc
RATES VALID for bookings confirmed before 30 DECEMBER 2014
ADDITIONAL GUESTS POA
NOTE - discounts may apply for last min bookings; special deals may also be available at certain times of the year...call to discuss
WEEKENDS – Friday to Sunday (any 2 nights)
excluding 20 December to 10 January & Long Weekends
2 guests - $640.00
Q B'day, Oct Long, ANZAC - (2 or 3 nights )
2 guests- $940.00
Aust Day - (2,3 or 4 nights )
2 guests - $1040.00
Easter- (3, 4 or 5 nights )
2 guests- $1340.00
MID WEEK SPECIAL
Monday afternoon - Friday morning (up to 4 nights )
excluding 20 December to 31 January & Long Weekends
2 guests - $740
WEEKLY SPECIAL - 7 nights ( arrival moday or friday afternoon)
excluding 20 December to 31 January & Long Weekends
2 guests- $1140
XMAS & NEW YEAR:-POA
if you would like to view more images of ‘Marra Retreat' simply click on 'view photo gallery' above; also go to Bar Point in 'Location Information' for views of the general area